Driving License is a very important document. It is not only necessary to drive motorized vehicles in Bharat but it can also be used as an Identity proof.
We have gathered all the information that you will need to get the Driving License. We have listed out all specific information about documents required and the process of applying for license. We keep on updating this information as rules and regulations change over the period to keep it up-to-date.
First time drivers (including teenagers), moving to a new state or lost license are several situations, which need specific information. You won't have to struggle to get all that information, we have provided it here in simple language.
Class of Vehicles
In India vehicles are classified into different categories. The types of vehicles a person is allowed to drive is mentioned on the Driving License. Knowledge about types of vehicles is important before applying for your Driving License.
- Motor Cycle without Gear.
- Motor Cycle with Gear.
- Light Motor Vehicle (Non Transport) - motorcars, jeeps, taxis, delivery vans for personal use only.
- Road Roller.
- Invalid Carriage - all kinds of vehicles used by handicapped persons.
- Transport Vehicles - used for commercial purposes even including Light Goods Carrier.
- Motor Vehicles of a specified description such as Heavy Goods/Passenger Motor Vehicle, Trailers.
Eligibility to Obtain Driver’s License
The eligibility to obtain a Driving License is very simple and explained below.
- Age of the applicant must be over 18 for Permanent Driving. License.
- A 16 year old teenager can obtain a driving license to drive vehicles without gear and having engine of up to 50cc.
- Person must be physically and mentally fit to drive a vehicle safely.
- Person must be aware of all the rules of traffic.
Types of Driving License
There are 2 types of Driving Licenses in India. The purpose of these licenses along with requirement of documents and application process is mentioned in following sections.
Learner Driving License
Learner Driving License is a temporary license and it is valid only up to 6 months. It is also known as Learning Driving License. Every applicant is initially issued a learning license. It allows a person to learn and master the art of vehicle driving with help of other people. After 6 months this license becomes invalid.
You will need following documents in order to apply for Learner Driving License.
- Form No. 3 which is an application form for a driving license
- Passport Size Photos (6 Nos.)
- Residential proof, any one of the following documents with attested copy.
- Aadhar Card
- Voter's ID Card
- Ration Card
- Proof of Age
- Educational certificate or
- Birth Certificate or
- A valid passport or
- An employer certificate if you are working in any government body.
You can start your process for your driving license by applying on the official website of State Transport Department. This is the easiest and efficient way to apply for license. Make sure to verify all the necessary documents which have been mentioned below in “Requirements of the Documents” section.
- Fill up Form No. 3 with all mandatory information e.g. name, address, date of birth etc.
- Submit other necessary documents such as Address proof, ID proof, and Passport size photo
- After submitting the form, you have to pay the fee as prescribed by State Government.
- Then, you will be given a time slot for your preliminary test for which you need to appear at the transport office of your zone.
- There you will be assessed on vision first, which will ensure that you don’t have any visibility issues.
- After securing passing marks in test, you will be issued a learner’s license
Permanent Driving License
This is a long term Driving License and allows person to drive vehicle independently. You can apply for Permanent License after 30 days from the date of issue of Learner Driving License. Make sure to apply for permanent license before learner license expires.
Documents required and process of application for permanent license is explained in following sections.
Following are the documents required in order to apply for a Permanent Driving License.
- Application form no. 4.
- 1 passport size photo.
- Valid original learner license.
Following is a complete process in order to apply for the permanent driving license:
- Open official website of State Transport Department.
- Go to “Appointment Button” and click on Online Service.
- Go to “Book your appointment”.
- On the newly opened window – Fill up the information about the appointment.
- After submitting the form, you will get a reference number – Note down it and next go for e-payment option.
- In the payment page, you can make payment through net banking, credit card, or debit card.
- Take a print out of your receipt.
- Visit your nearest zonal office on the date of appointment – Make sure to carry original documents and self-attested photocopies.
- Officer will verify all the documents.
- Now officer will take your driving test.
- You will get your permanent driving license on your residential address through speed post.
How to Check Driving License Status?
Driving License is delivered to home through post office services. You may check the status of Driving License online. Here are the steps to do that.
- Visit the official website of State Transport Department.
- Go to “Track DL Delivery Status”.
- On the newly opened page, select your zone number and enter your receipt number and click on search. It will show status of your driving license application.
Important Tips to Avoid Problem While Getting a License
Following are some important tips which you need to take into the consideration while applying for your driving license.
- Before applying online, you should collect and verify all the documents.
- Take proper lessons of traffic rules and regulation before appearing in the online test.
- Appear early before the test.
- If you have applied for the permanent license of 2-wheeler – Don’t forget to wear a helmet.
- If you have applied for the permanent license of 4-wheeler – Don’t forget to wear a seat belt.
- Avoid common mistakes and bad habits like drinking and driving.